Skip to main content

Random update... sequel to a Man Called Boy in the works and dream stuff

 

So overall, working on a sequel to a 'Man Called Boy' right now. But between sections, I saw a short story call that seemed perfect for a short story I've been wanting to write, so I thought I'd quickly jot it down (draft one is only about 4k words). It's based on a dream. Not just based but essentially a transcript. The great thing about stories that are dreams I've had, is already knowing everything that happened - the opposite of how I normally write. But it's comparatively relaxing, because it's essentially an anecdote of an experience. Now this was a dream I had back in 2022 and made notes for, because at some point I will put out a dream diary of sorts as a collection of short stories. Several of which have been published, more that with a few tweaks were able to be shoehorned into my fantasy world, scifi world, and so on. But about half-way through writing it, I went to sleep that night and dreamt a sequel for it, which now I feel compelled to work on because I want to get it out while the details are fresh. My dream diary notes are full of dream descriptions that barely register with me now. Some stay with me forever, some for a long time, and some have a memory shelf-life like reduced-to-clear milk. Sometimes you need to know which is which. This felt like an urgent one. It seems to be set some time later as I’m the son of the character I was in the previous one.
I’m just intrigued that my subconscious submitted me a sequel to a 4-year-old dream just because I started working on it. Like a streaming service saying “Because you liked that we recommend this.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2022 - Year in Review

  A challenging year, but I'm proud of the work I managed to create. On the publishing front I saw my work appear in fifteen published anthologies. That's one more than last year, which is actually more impressive than it sounds because for the last seven months of this year I also took a day job (because, as fun as it's been to write full time, it's not generating a liveable income just yet – I need to get some full books out there). Casual day work (mostly at night), but that's still anywhere between twelve and fifty hours a week not in front of a computer. Instead standing on my feet, destroying my arches, and making it hard to sit at a computer to write, needing days to recover from the pain. So, with limited time, I still got done what I did, and I'm proud of that. I'm still pumping out short stories because it helps flesh out my worlds. With each new short, I discover something new about that world. It's a journey of discovery. With each new stor...

Horrorween

Halloween's becoming a lot like Christmas. It's starts creeping in a month or so early. Give Oktoberfest so breathing room, people. No doubt we'll see Christmas stuff up Nov 1, and Hotcross buns out on Boxing Day. Thus is the cycle of life. Perhaps we need to embrace more religious holidays to fill the rest of the year out with treats and costumes. But I do love this time of year. I'm currently working as a security officer at a fun park as day (evening) job. They're doing a Halloween thing for a couple weeks, so I'm often standing on a deck watching Silent Hill nurses cavort and convulse in the bloody uniforms and bandaged heads, to terrorise folk as they enter the park.  It's an agonising job as I stand for hours on feet that aren't built for it (collapsed arches, a heel issue, etc). It's literal torture, motivating me to get as many books out into the world and sell a million copies of each. It's like a reverse cop show/movie trope: after year...

100 stories published

So about 7 or 8 stories ago, I passed a benchmark without noticing. The gaps between call, submissions, and publication vary by some dramatically huge margins, so it would require quite the audit to name the precise one that made it over the line (also some of those are flash/micro fiction but many of those are also recorded in groups/batches as just one so hard to pin down). OVER 100 STORIES PUBLISHED First story published in late 2020. So it's been a busy four or five years. I'm not making a living off this yet and maybe I never will. But that's a nice benchmark to cross. I don't update this site often, and I need to populate the timeline/genre page. I will soon, maybe throw up some maps for the fantasy side of things. At least I have the excuse of clearly being very busy. I'll pat myself on the back there.